Who can apply?
The aim of the project is to give excellent master students with a degree in the fields of Science, Technology, Engineering and Mathematics (STEM), business management and economy the opportunity to apply for a PhD work in Data Science.
The program is open for students with a master degree from a university or a university of applied sciences. PhD students with a master degree from a university of applied sciences will have to fulfill the convergence process.
How to apply
In the first step an interested student has to find a co-supervisor at ZHAW. The PhD candidate writes a synopsis (3-5 pages) about the planed PhD project including:
- Project description containing state of the art in the respective research field, relevant literature, and the scientific problem that will be tackled by the PhD work
- Time plan and financial plan for the PhD
- Responsible institution (institute or center) at ZHAW Zurich University of Applied Sciences where the PhD work will be conducted
- Favored UZH University of Zurich Faculty of Science professor (name of professor, institute, university), who shall be the main PhD supervisor
- Detailed description of the collaboration in the PhD project between the ZHAW and UZH
The application form can be downloaded here.
The PhD candidate will send the synopsis, his/her CV and an application form to the coordinator of the PhD network. The coordinator will formally approve the documents and send them to the respective commission. The commission will decide about the co-supervisor and the PhD candidate and if accepted recommend the candidate and co-supervisors to the PhD program. In the next step the PhD candidate will apply with the recommendation of the commission to the PhD programme in data science at UZH.
PhD program at UZH
PhD candidates enroll in the PhD Programme in Data Science at UZH University of Zurich.
At the University of Zurich, the «Promotionsordnung für die Promotion an der Mathematisch-naturwissenschaftlichen Fakultät» appllies.